Did you know that 4 out of 10 MSU students report experiencing food insecurity at some point during the academic year? At the same time, we know that 40% of food in the United States goes to waste.
How can we find a linked solution that addresses both food insecurity (hunger) and food waste?
We know that catered events across the MSU campus often result in extra food (in box lunches or on a buffet line), that typically goes to waste. Is there a tech solution that could link this surplus food at catered events to members of the MSU community who need better access to healthy food?
Some considerations to keep in mind:
- How can the food provider (MSU Catering OR the event planner) easily let food recipients (food insecure members of the MSU community) know when left-over food from catering events is available?
- How can food recipients sign up to be notified when food becomes available?
- When it comes to keeping food safe from contamination, timing is everything. How can MSU catering (or an event planner) provides access to this left-over food AND ensure that food is not left out at room temperature too long?
- Many people, even those experiencing food insecurity, have food allergy issues. How can those seeking food be made aware of allergen issues in food that may become available from catering events?
- How can food recipients learn about the location of the food pick-up, especially if they are not very familiar with all areas of the MSU campus?